Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Healthcare Reform-Whose Taking Control Over Your Health?

There has been much controversy regarding revisions and proposals being made with the U.S. Healthcare Reform (many Canadians are probably wondering what all the fuss is about).

A recent news article...

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/08/10/3137238-health-reform-idea-put-down-the-doughnut#comments

...has focused on what seems a contentious issue of where does one's personal responsibility fit in with the new health system? Is the system responsible for my health, or am I? Before you definitively answer this question, I invite you to look at the responses posted by the public at large to get an idea what the controversy is all about.

It would seem there is a great deal of fear and reactivity regarding Healthcare reform as demonstrated in these posts. Change often means uncertainty. The greater the change- the greater the fear. I’m not sure if this is an either/or debate between the health system and the individual.

Perhaps the greatest need of change is in perception. I don’t need to wait for the system to change sometime in the future to take responsibility for my health in the present. The system is not responsible for my health choices, I am!

The choices I make today will reflect my health in the future. I become concerned when some people say “I can always rely on the system to fix the poor choices I’m making now” and use this thinking as their acting out ticket and/or a “licence to (gradually) kill” themselves. Some would call this (systemic) “co-dependency” and/or “enabling”. Of course the system needs to change and yet, we each have our own choices to make. That is our burden and our freedom.

Health and recovery begins with the power of choice.

I look forward to your thoughts.


Best of health and warmest regards, Paul Radkowski

-Saving and transforming lives and families 24/7

info@liferecoveryprogram.com
http://www.liferecoveryprogram.com/

No comments: