Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Trauma & Addiction Recovery Begins with "Being Gentle"

I thought I would make another post in keeping with the theme of trauma and addiction.

Trauma is much like a "3rd degree emotional burn" which can effect you long after you have "gotten out of the fire". The past does impact the present. Yet, whatever happened in your past you have survived the worst. Something about you, inside of you… a strength and perhaps sheer will to survive got you this far.

If you have had a heart attack and are still here, you have survived. If you have had trauma in your past and you are here now, you have survived it!

What is in your highest interest to create long-term health and healing for you? You cannot heal a physical burn or “emotional burn” by being brutal with yourself. It all starts with being gentle, by being aware of how your trauma experience affects you in the present.

Each time you might feel “triggered” just breathe and say to yourself: “Whew! It looks like I’m feeling a strong survival response as my body feels tensed up. It looks like I’m being triggered by something from my past. I understand this now and have choices and healthier ways of coping in the present.

I’m going to be gentle with myself and just breathe, write down what’s going on with me and what I need to do right now. It looks like I still have some healing to do and that’s ok. Disappointment is just a trigger, not a catastrophe”.

Best of health and warmest regards, Paul Radkowski

info@liferecoveryprogram.com
http://www.liferecoveryprogram.com/

No comments: